OTSE, David Adotse, Bsu/VTE/M.Sc/3742
Post date: Mar 30, 2014 8:00:29 PM
OTSE, David Adotse
1. Briefly mention three national issues that commonly prompt and shape changes in the curriculum and education systems.
The national issues that commonly prompt and shape changes in curriculum and education system are
i. New policy on education, this may arise as new philosophy emanates in the nation to meet the yearning and aspiration of the citizenry. For instance Nigeria changed her system of education which only emphasized on 3’Rs, (Reading, Writing and Arithmetic) which was lopsided to 6-3-3-4 system of education which address the technological concept the populace seek for, and there is need to tailor a new curriculum to suit this new system of education.
ii. New innovation can be another reason that will prompt changes in curriculum, for instance, the Information and Communication Technology that seem to be a global interest, in such a situation there will be a need to incorporate this new trend in the system of education. This will now give rise to change in the curriculum.
iii. Lastly, another reason that will prompt and shape changes in curriculum is the issue of societal needs, this may include traditional belief or change necessitated as a result of feedback from curriculum evaluation processes, and all these can prompt the curriculum to be shape to meet their demand of the people.
2. Who are the various participants or stakeholders involved in education reform and curriculum change and their respective roles and interests in policy formulation?
The various participants or Stakeholders involved in education reform and curriculum change are
i. Educational Administrators and planners
ii. Subject specialist
iv. Curriculum experts
v. Interest Groups
vi. Both the Federal and State Ministry of Education
vii. Professional body, such as [Mathematics Association of Nigeria (MAN); Science Teachers Association of Nigeria (STAN); National Board for Technical Education (NBTE); National Educational Research Council (NERC) etc]
3. What are potential problems and areas of conflict that may arise from formulation and implementation of changes in the curriculum?
The potential problems and areas of conflict that may arise from formulation and implementation of change in the curriculum are
a. Inadequate of funding
b. Unstable political environment
- Suggest ways of managing / dealing with conflict and resistance as well as mobilizing popular support for on-going or proposed change in the curriculum?
The following are ways to manage / dealing with conflict and resistance as well as mobilizing popular support for on-going or proposed change in the curriculum
a. Interest Group should be involved in any on-going proposed change in the curriculum.
b. Adequate fund should be provided.
c. Corruption should be discouraged.
d. There is a need to have stable government.
e. There should be no political interference.
f. Disseminate of information should be done on time.
g. The teacher as the implementer of the curriculum should be involved.
- Give examples of sensitive or challenging curriculum policy issues in Nigeria, in particular socio-political and cultural contexts.
Culture, custom and tradition of other should be consider
Avoid gender discrimination